Wildlife Photography

White Impala

March 20, 2012

Oscar Wilde said that “Mere colour, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways.”

I was in the Kruger National Park and decided to a take drive to Mpondo Dam one morning. I was expecting to see some cats but instead came across this white Impala. I was thrilled to see such a sighting, because one doesn’t always stumble across an animal that so common and yet so rare at the same time.

The reason for it being white is Leucism. It’s a condition characterized by a reduced pigmentation in animals. Unlike Albinism, it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigments, not just melanin.

Image and text by Ronesh Pharboo.

What’s the most amazing albino/leucistic animal you’ve seen at the Kruger National Park?

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

• Reply mandy March 20, 2012 at 7:56 am

we were also lucky to see the white impala while we were there in December and my aunt was lucky to see a white buffalo

• Reply Chris Voets March 20, 2012 at 8:03 am

Last June we saw a fully-grown albino buffalo on the tar road up to Berg en Dal. I’ve also seen a grown kudu bull back in the 90s as well as an impala ewe near Lower Sabie. Very lucky to see a young white lion south of Lower Sabie in the mid-90s (I realise that’s not an albino though). None of my sightings have been as close as yours though, it’s a beautiful photo!

• Reply Karishma March 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Fascinating Pic.. Beautiful Work 🙂

• Reply Debra Matias June 28, 2012 at 12:48 pm

We were fortunate enough to spot the white Impala too on a recent visit to the Park in May. It was so unexpected!

• Reply Eleanor Hatton July 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

we saw the white impala on our recent visit to the park yesterday. Was quite a pleasant surprise, and the best sighting seen to say the least! hope it survives much long.

• Reply Lesley Deysel August 15, 2012 at 8:06 am

We just saw another white impala on the road between
    Croc Bridge and Lower Sabie! It was a young ram and unlike this one, seemed to be completely pigmentless, having reddish eyes. It was like spotting a unicorn!